Many years ago it was the case that you waited to hear good news from the postman or by telegraph, now it is by email or by the internet, but whatever that pleasant news might be it is even better when it is a surprise. Thus it was very enjoyable to recieve a Gmail blog comment (I think that’s the right terminology) from smellslikestrawberries.wordpress.com/ saying that she had nominated me for a Liebster award, hoping that I would pass on it on to other blogs of less that 1000 followers.
The details of how the awards work can be accessed by the following link jojoknowseverything.wordpress.com and in line with the award I’ll first answer the questioned that have been posed for me, state 11 random facts about myself, and then record 11 other blogs which I hope you may wish to support or follow
Ok , first the questions
Q1 Why and when did you start blogging
Why, because I love the English language, because it helps to express my inner thoughts and fears, and because it is part of my self treatment for depression, and when , ummm, november 2013
Q2 Pick three things/people to bring with you if you were to be stranded on an island
My wife, a cat, and the complete works of G.B. Shaw
Q3 Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
Creakier, still married (so long as the wife still wants me!), still owned by cats,but hopefully a published short story writer
Q4 What is the thing you love the most?
Peace of mind-the greatest gift or prize of all
Q5 If you knew everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit?
My mother. I have put her through hell with my depression, so even to just say thanks for standing by me for so long
Q6 What was the last lie you told?
May I help you & it’s been a pleasure to serve you…..I’ve been a caterer and now I’m in retail…figure it out yourself!
Q7 If you could be a celebrity for one day who would you choose to be?
Good Question. Maybe Stephen Hawking, I’d like to get into his mind
Q8 If you could be any age for a week, what age would you be?
I’ve no real answer to this one. Deep down I think life sucks and it is ridiculous, so age is neither here nor there. Sorry. Possibly 26 though, and on the Finmark plateau in Norway-see post- We know you now…we know everything
Q9 If you could erase one disaster/war that happened in the world which would it be?
WWI. Once you have been to the battlefields and war cemeteries, you never forget them, or the terrible price that so may paid. Not only that WW2 was spawned by WWI, so no WWI, no Holocaust, yet another terrible crime
Q10 Three words you would use to describe your blog
Independent, thought-provoking, stories …(three or four words, that’s you call)
Q 11 Complete the sentence: Is it…
Is it better to loved and lost than never to have loved at all, and is there any better gift in the world than a balanced body and peace of mind…you chose
Now the 11 random facts
- I am untidy by nature, both mentally and physically
- I love chocolate
- I don’t belive in humanity
- I love cats
- I loathe “They” and “everybody”, as in “they say” and “everybody knows
- It took me 26 years to know what friendship meant
- At 55 I still have no self interest, self esteem, and only parchment thin self belief and confidence
- I love fresh hot coffee
- I love to see and hear seagulls screaming into a westerly gale
- I loathe cold mutton, dripping (hot or cold),Pearl Barley, and anything encased in Jelly
- The best sound I’ve heard and still adore is the sound of silence
My Questions for you
The questions below reflect my experience with mental illness, and have been prepared for others to gain an insight as regards what is involved. As such the questions have been forwarded to the 11 nominated blogs that follow this set of questions, but please feel free to comment upon anything you read, and, of course to ask any questions that might come to mind
- Three words you would use to describe your blog
- What drove you to start your blog
- Do you believe there is a cure for mental illness
- Can mental health sufferers help other in the community to understand mental health problems
- which treatment have you found to most beneficial
- Do you think mental illness should be regarded within society as an “illness”, a “disability”, or as an “opertunity” to understand other ways of thinking
- Do you feel any positives can be drawn from such conditions. If so what positives
- Do you feel that the gap between sufferers and non sufferers can ever be really bridged
- Do you have any survival or remedial tips to pass on to anyone
- What keeps you going when times are tough
- Try and complete the senence…Tomorrow I can, Tomorrow I will…..
The list below represents either groups who help those who suffer from depression or similar mental illnesses, or individuals who have had the strength to open up about who they feel or about themselves within a blog format. Most of us think it is easy to blog or write about how we feel, but if you suffer from mental illness it can be far harder to do so. So my advice to all readers of this post is to visit these blogs,and support them as much as you can. Not doing so the gulf and stigma that often exists around such illnesses made lessened if not eventually destroyed. We all have so much to learn from each other as we all have different skills and a view of life that is uniquely our own
Are there any more blogs that deserve recognition; of course there are, but I hope that these may lead you to try and discover a world which, though at times painful, can be of benefit to all